Aaron Donald Works Out for the Rams Again on Sunday
Retired defensive tackle Aaron Donald worked out for the Los Angeles Rams on Sunday, according to the NFL's transaction log (via Mike Garafolo of NFL.com). Donald, who is retired, previously worked out for the Rams on August 5 to see how he felt with pads on. It's unclear exactly why the Rams brought him for a second workout less than two weeks later, but there's evidently strong mutual interest in a reunion between the two sides. Donald spent his entire NFL career with the Rams from 2014 to 2023. He made the Pro Bowl in each of his 10 seasons, was an eight-time First Team All-Pro, won Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2014, and took home Defensive Player of the Year honors three different times. He still had a lot left in the tank when he retired after the 2023 season, during which he amassed 53 tackles, eight sacks, 23 quarterback hits, and 16 tackles for a loss. Despite taking two years off, we'd imagine Donald is still capable of playing quality football as a starting defensive tackle for the Super Bowl-hopeful Rams. It will be interesting to see if a deal comes to fruition in the coming days, especially now that the 35-year-old has worked out for his old team twice.
Aaron Donald's Target for Decision to Return Shifts
ProFootballTalk reported that retired defensive tackle Aaron Donald's target date for a decision to return to the Los Angeles Rams continues to shift. Speculation about Donald's return first spread across the league after the blockbuster trade that sent the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, Myles Garrett, to the Rams. In early August, Donald was spotted at the team's facility for an official training camp workout. Even as Donald pushes his decision timeline back, the Rams do not seem inclined to set any deadlines. If he decides to return, the Rams would have one of the best defenses in history on paper as they attempt to win another Super Bowl in 2026.
Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay said he doesn't know yet whether former All-Pro defensive tackle Aaron Donald will come out of retirement for the 2026 season, but he said that Donald "looked outstanding" during his workout with the team on Tuesday, according to Sarah Barshop of ESPN. Donald spent his entire 10-year NFL career with the Rams before hanging up his cleats in March of 2024. "He's very deliberate and intentional about what this looks like," McVay said of Donald. "Things are going in the right direction. He's feeling good, but we're not to where we are able to say whether or not he is or isn't ready to do it. But he's doing great, and he looked outstanding, as I think all of us would expect." McVay doesn't want to put a timeline for Donald's decision, but he has said in the past that if he returns, he would be "all-in." The belief is that if the 35-year-old 10-time Pro Bowler and eight-time first-team All-Pro comes back, it would be in more of a rotational pass-rushing role for the Rams' D-line, but Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reported on Thursday night that Donald could be ready to take on 30-40 snaps in Week 1 against the division-rival San Francisco 49ers in Australia if he unretires. It's looking more and more like an already stacked Rams' defense is going to get more help this year from a future Hall of Famer.
Aaron Donald Could Play 30-40 Snaps in Week 1 if he Returns to the Rams
Future Hall of Fame defensive lineman Aaron Donald could see a heavy workload in Week 1 if he returns from retirement. According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, Donald could get between 30 and 40 snaps if he returns in Week 1 against the San Francisco 49ers in Australia. Donald has been retired since the 2023 season, but rumors have fueled speculation that he could unretire and play for the Rams this year. Donald had a workout with the team on Wednesday, and head coach Sean McVay said it was the best he's ever seen. With the team's acquisitions of reigning Defensive Player of the Year Myles Garrett and star cornerback Trent McDuffie, the Rams defense could be an unbreakable unit if Donald returns and looks like even half the player he was in his prime. UPDATE: McVay said, "We're not to where we are able to say whether or not he is or isn't ready to do it," per ESPN's Sarah Barshop.
Rams Have Aaron Donald in for a Workout on Wednesday
The Los Angeles Rams had retired defensive tackle Aaron Donald in for a workout on Wednesday, according to Ari Meirov of The 33rd Team. Donald continues to assess whether he's in good enough shape, football-wise to come out of retirement to join new Rams pass-rusher Myles Garrett in 2026 for another run at a Lombardi Trophy, but this is the 35-year-old veteran's first official workout with his old team. It's looking more and more likely that Donald will come out of retirement this year, but an official announcement might not come until right before the start of the 2026 regular season or at some point after the season starts. If Donald returns to the Rams, it will be in a much smaller role as basically a third-down situational pass-rusher to keep him fresh and productive in what would be his 11th NFL season after enjoying retirement the last two years. It will make Donald a tougher sell as a fantasy-relevant pass-rusher in IDP leagues, but his return would no doubt make the Rams' pass rush even more formidable. Donald is a three-time Defensive Player of the Year and had 111 sacks in his 10 NFL campaigns with the Rams before hanging up his cleats.
Sean McVay Says Arrow Pointing Upwards for Aaron Donald's Return
Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay said on Friday that future Hall of Fame pass-rusher Aaron Donald's return is trending upward as the Rams approach the season. McVay said, "He doesn't expect an update when the team gets to Woodland Hills, but if there's an arrow, it's trending upward." Donald retired after the 2023 season, but the Rams' acquiring reigning Defensive Player of the Year Myles Garrett this offseason reportedly piqued his interest. Donald has been training hard to see how his body responds, and if all goes well, he could suit up for the team this season. The Rams head back to their facility on August 10th, so expect a Donald update or announcement then.
Aaron Donald a "Real Possibility" to Return to the Rams
The NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said on Thursday that there is a "real possibility" that defensive tackle Aaron Donald will unretire to play for the Los Angeles Rams in 2026. Donald is unsure right now what is going to happen, but he has been working out and lifting weights. The next step for the 35-year-old 10-time Pro Bowler and eight-time All-Pro is to determine whether he can get back into top-notch football shape to return to the form he was in before he retired in 2023. There's no real timeline for Donald to decide one way or another, and if he does show up at the Rams' training camp, it's unlikely to happen until late in camp. It's also possible that if Donald does return to the Rams this year, it might not come until during the regular season. If Donald suits up for L.A. to join All-Pro pass-rusher Myles Garrett in 2026, it will strictly be in a rotational role on the interior of the Rams' defensive line. In his last season in the NFL, Donald had only eight sacks and 53 tackles (28 solo) in 16 regular-season starts in his 10th year in the league.
Aaron Donald Spotted at Rams Facility, is he Coming Back?
Cameron DaSilva of Rams Wire reports that retired defensive tackle Aaron Donald was spotted on Friday working out at the Los Angeles Rams' facility. There has been speculation this offseason that Donald will come out of retirement in 2026 to join All-Pro pass-rusher Myles Garrett as the Rams seek another Super Bowl ring. The 35-year-old reportedly went through several drills for around an hour in Los Angeles, fueling more rumors that he could make a comeback this year. The last time the 35-year-old 10-time Pro Bowler, eight-time All-Pro, and three-time Defensive Player of the Year spoke about it, he said he was "flirting" with the possibility of an NFL return, but nothing has been decided yet. In his final season with the Rams in 2023, Donald recorded 53 tackles (28 solo), eight sacks, 16 tackles for loss, and 23 QB hits in 16 regular-season starts. Despite being an interior D-lineman, he was one of the best pass-rushers in the NFL during his 10 years in the league, racking up a whopping 111 sacks, all with the Rams. L.A.'s defense already has one of the best pass-rushing groups in the league after they added Garrett, so a Donald return would make the Rams even more of a Super Bowl favorite for the upcoming season.
ESPN's Adam Schefter thinks it's "more likely than not" that defensive tackle Aaron Donald unretires to rejoin the Los Angeles Rams and new star pass-rusher Myles Garrett in 2026. Nobody else is saying what Schefter is saying, but they are acknowledging the fact that Donald is considering coming out of retirement to try to help the Rams get back to the Super Bowl, which will be held at SoFi Stadium this year. We are a ways away from Donald actually announcing that he is going to return, but it feels like it will be hard for him to pass up having a chance to headline a pass-rushing unit in L.A. that would feature arguably two of the best sack artists of all time. Schefter said that if he had to guess, he would guess that Donald returns to make the Rams the unquestioned Super Bowl favorite in 2026. The 35-year-old veteran is still probably in phenomenal shape after recording eight sacks and 53 tackles (28 solo) in 16 starts in 2023 in his final year in the league. The 10-time Pro Bowler and eight-time All-Pro had a whopping 111 sacks in his 10 years in the league.
Aaron Donald Considering Coming Out of Retirement?
When asked by FOX Sports' Jordan Schultz if he's considering coming out of retirement and playing for the Los Angeles Rams in 2026 after they acquired All-Pro pass-rusher Myles Garrett from the Cleveland Browns on Monday, former defensive tackle Aaron Donald said, "I'm for sure flirting with the idea. Helluva an opportunity with the Super Bowl in SoFi this year. If I can find the fire, it's a possibility." The 35-year-old last played for the Rams in 2023, but we're pretty sure he could return and still be one of the best interior defensive linemen in the game. The former 13th overall pick back in 2014 out of Pittsburgh made 10 Pro Bowls and was an eight-time first-team All-Pro in his 10 seasons with the Rams. Donald retired in 2023 with 111 career sacks, 543 tackles (340 solo), 176 tackles for loss, and 260 QB hits across 154 regular-season games. Donald was also named the league's Defensive Player of the Year three times. If he were to return in 2026 and join forces with Garrett, the Rams would have by far the best pass-rushing package in the NFL.